As people are gaining awareness about how being overweight is dangerous, many are working on themselves to stay fit and healthy. Whether you’re looking to delve into a skateboarding exercise or hit the gym, maintaining a healthy weight is crucial to enjoying a long and happy life.
People are working on new, efficient, and more straightforward ways to ensure that they maintain themselves, lose weight, attain perfect body posture, and stay fit. Some people opt for heavy workouts, while others opt for dancing classes to lose weight.
In contrast to this, many people explore their passion and go ahead with playing sports to stay fit and healthy. No one exercise or weight loss regiment fits all, and some might progress at the gym while others are on the playing field. What’s important is to have a healthy diet and sufficient sleep to let your muscles regenerate after playing sports or exercise.
In this article, we will discuss skateboarding, and we will go over the benefits of skateboarding and whether it helps lose weight.
Is Skateboarding Recognized as an Official Sport?
Skateboarding is considered both a sport and a recreational activity. It involves movement on a skateboard under the guidance of an experienced expert if you are a beginner.
However, it is also considered a fun recreational activity in fun and play areas. Fans and audiences love it when people use these tricks to move around here and there on skateboards using new tricks and techniques.
In addition, people skateboard to go from one area to another. As many people are getting involved in skateboarding, it is now considered a sport in western countries.
Can You Lose Weight by Skateboarding?
Although skateboarding is included in other fun activities and as a part of sports, it can be efficiently used to lose weight.
As it is a sport, you can quickly lose weight with skateboarding and healthy eating habits. It can burn around 300 to 550 calories depending on your overall body weight, shape, and metabolism.
In addition, skateboarding has other multiple benefits that help you lose some kilos. Skateboarding helps to attain balance and flexibility in your body. You can’t achieve this overnight, but through learning, you can improve your balance and flexibility through skateboarding.
In addition, it also helps improve your body posture, straightens your back, and it helps tones your calf and hamstring muscles and focuses on your leg muscles. Hence, a skateboard might be your new friend if you desire sleek, well-toned legs.
When talking about losing weight, we cannot forget to focus on our body’s core. Skateboarding significantly helps improve your body core through cardio, an excellent form of cardio that helps burn fat cells and strengthens your heart.
Benefits of Skateboarding
There are many benefits to skateboarding. Although it is a fun and recreational activity, it has many advantages related to your body and overall health.
Here are some of the benefits of skateboarding:
- Patience: Skateboarding teaches you patience. Well, every sport and pursuing any passion of your choice requires patience. Therefore, you will not become an expert overnight. Instead, you will fall and rise multiple times to gain expertise in skateboarding.
- Reflexes: Skateboarding will help you improve your reflexes. For example, a quick reflex will help you avoid an obstacle instead of stopping. Practice will make heighten your reflexes.
- Coordination: Skateboarding improves your overall body coordination. It helps make your legs, hands, eyes, and overall body posture work together. In addition, through this improved coordination, you can create complex movements smoothly and correctly.
- Pain tolerance: Skateboarding also improves your pain tolerance. It helps you with resilience. When skateboarding, you will also experience chipping, falling, cuts, and abrasions, but the pain threshold will definitely increase over time.
- Precision: Skateboarding helps you improve your precision. Smooth movement is a result of commendable accuracy. You will be aware of places where you have to jump, take turns, and avoid obstacles through precision.
Safety Precautions You Should Consider
Although skateboarding has many benefits, you must take multiple safety precautions before jumping on the skateboard. Following are some of the precautions you should take before skateboarding.
- You should use a helmet that fits well on your head and shouldn’t be loose.
- You should wear knee and elbow guards to protect you when you fall.
- Wear goggles or shatterproof glasses.
- Wear wrist guards to protect your wrists when you fall.
Skateboarding has many benefits and consequently helps with losing weight. In addition, it improves your core, tones your calf and hamstring muscles, improve balance and flexibility, and helps with stretching. However, if you’re purely looking to lose significant weight, it is not as effective as other exercises or activities.