Did you know that India has emerged as one of the world’s fastest-growing fashion markets over the past few years? That’s right. As per a recent report, India’s fashion industry is projected to grow at 15% CAGR by 2022 and become a $102 billion market for apparel. For those considering a career in the fashion industry, this is exciting news!
The fashion industry involves thorough research and analysis of the latest fashion trends to predict the popularity of new products. So, if you love fashion, have a keen eye for detail, and have refined communication skills, pursuing a career in fashion business management can be very rewarding.
Here is how you can pursue a career in the fashion business and what to expect once you get there.
Degree courses in fashion business management
If you have passed class XII in any stream, you can go for relevant undergraduate programs. The most popular ones are:
- B. A. (Hons.) Fashion and Lifestyle Business Management
- UG Diploma in Fashion Retail Management
If you have a graduate degree, you can go for the following post-graduate courses:
- Masters in Fashion Management or Fashion Design Management
- PG Diploma in Retail Management
Undergraduate degrees are four-year courses, post-graduate degrees are two-year courses, and diplomas can last one to two years.
The benefits of pursuing a fashion degree course
A degree course tailored for the fashion industry has numerous advantages over ordinary MBA courses.
Not only do niche fashion management degrees help you learn about the industry, but they keep you updated on the evolving industry trends.
What’s more, you will gain exposure to the country’s fashion ecosystem. You get to interact with industry leaders, attend masterclasses by fashion moguls, and work on live projects under fashion entrepreneurs.
What to expect while working as a manager in the fashion industry
Once you finish your fashion management course, you can find work opportunities as a business manager, fashion design manager, and retail manager.
You will be responsible for increasing the sales of fashion products using your sales and marketing knowledge. So, you will be involved in several activities throughout the sales and marketing campaigns, such as:
- Increasing brand awareness through social media
- Define the product positioning strategy for your client
- Develop pricing strategy of fashion products to increase profits
- Maximize the company’s market share
- Analyzing consumer feedback and survey retail channels to innovate your existing products
- Identify the need for new products and services
- Oversee product development
- Collaborating with other network partners like designers, merchandisers, retailers and manufacturers
- Stay on top of the latest fashion trends
These are just a few examples. After you enter the field, you will have the opportunity to apply your skills and work outside of your domain. It is up to you how deep you want to explore!
Fashion business management is a rapidly emerging field with tremendous growth potential. During your career, you will get the chance to interact with industry leaders, travel, and explore. You will learn valuable skills on the job, be it communication skills, marketing techniques, or sales strategies.
So, don’t wait any longer. Start researching for courses today!